On 16th June 2020, Royal Malaysian Customs Department (RMCD) has announced the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to GST refund as below:
1. Where can I check the GST refund status?
You may check via:
- Taxpayer Access Point (TAP)
- Visit to RMCD’s office (Cawangan Kawalan Operasi & Pulangbalik Ibupejabat Kastam Putrajaya; or Controlling Station)
- Telephone call 1-300-88-8500
- Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
2. If I have shifted to new office, should I update my GST details?
- Yes. Please update via TAP or visit to the nearby RMCD Controlling Station.
3. I have problem in accessing my TAP account. What should I do?
- You need to activate your TAP via calling to Customs Care Centre at 1-300-88-8500 or email to email@example.com or visit to the nearby RMCD Controlling Station.
4. Why I have not received my GST refund?
- All GST refunds are subject to verification, audit and investigation. GST refund can be made within 6 years from 1 September 2018, in accordance with Section 8, Good & Services Tax (Revocation) Act 2018.
5. What is RMCD’s approach in expediting the GST refund process?
RMCD will take the following approach:
GST refund less than RM 100,000
- GST refund will be remitted upon verification process completed. However, the Company/claimant will still subject to Custom’s audit within 6 years timeframe from 1st September 2018.
GST refund more than RM 100,000
GST refunded upon the completion of risk rating process
- After this process, GST will be fully refunded and audit will be carried out at any time after payment credited.
- If risk rating process not passed, GST will still be refunded by 90% from overall outstanding amount as at 1 January 2019 after desk review process. The balance will be credited upon field audit credited with a condition Company/claimant must furnish 10% Bank Guarantee and letter of undertaking.
6. Will I still get full GST refund if I didn’t furnish Bank Guarantee?
7. How can I get further clarification regarding the application for Bank Guarantee and letter of undertaking?
- The taxpayer may do application via writing in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Bank Guarantee application will be processed by Cawangan Kawalan Operasi & Pulangbalik, Bahagian Cukai Dalam Negeri, Ibu Pejabat.
8. How to determine the Bank Guarantee amount to enable full GST refunded?
- The taxpayer may follow 10% Bank Guarantee amount from the total GST refund amount as 1st January 2019.
- Alternatively, the taxpayer may email to email@example.com to get the actual Bank Guarantee amount.
9. When will RMCD carry out field audit?
- Based on Section 8, Goods & Services Tax (Revocation) Act 2018, field audit may carry out within 6 years from the effective date (1 September 2018).
10. How can I get further information regarding the GST refund?
- Taxpayer may visit RMCD’s office at Cawangan Kawalan Operasi & Pulangbalik, Bahagian Cukai Dalam Negeri, Ibu Pejabat or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Correspondence address – Ketua Pengarah Kastam, Jabatan Kastam Diraja Malaysia, Bahagian Cukai Dalam Negeri, Cawangan Kawalan Operasi & Pulangbalik, Aras 3, Blok A, Menara Tulus, No 22, Persiaran Perdana, Presint 3, 62100 Putrajaya.
Source from RMCD Official Website Announcement (https://mysst.customs.gov.my/assets/document/Annoucement/Soalan%20Lazim%20Berhubung%20Pembayaran%20Balik%20GST.pdf)
For more information, please click NOTIS PEMBERITAHUAN STRATEGI PEMBAYARAN BALIK REFUND GST_16062020 and Soalan Lazim Berhubung Pembayaran Balik GST 160620
Cheng & Co is the leading home-grown International Accounting Firm provide one-stop professional centre with innovative solutions for excellence. Our team is specialized in providing insightful advice to assist your company to get through the business difficulties.
The contact details of Cheng & Co Regional office personnel are as follows: or
- Northern Region (Perlis, Kedah, Penang, Perak) Mr. Albert Tan (email@example.com)
- Central Region (Kuala Lumpur, Selangor) Mr. Sam Kong (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Southern Region (Negeri Sembilan, Melaka, Johor) Mr. Aaron Heng (email@example.com) and Ms Moon Gan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The information provided by CHENG & CO (“we,” “us” or “our”) on www.chengco.com.my (the “Site”) [and our mobile application] is for general informational purposes only. All information on the Site [and our mobile application] is provided in good faith, however we make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability or completeness of any information on the Site [or our mobile application].